Thursday, February 7

RIBBED KNIT BLANKET: THE BEGINNING

As a lot of my friends know, I love to knit. Really, the only useable things I can knit are scarves and cable knit headbands. It has been hard for me, for some reason, to go beyond flat knits. I guess I just don't have the patience (or, really, the time) to learn anything else right now. It would be awesome to eventually be able to pick up a set of needles and knit whatever I please, but for now, I will perfect what I know. 
I tell you all this to say, I am finally beginning the major task of knitting a blanket. Major because it will be the most time consuming knitting project I have ever dared to accomplish. It will not only be time consuming, but will require a lot of yarn. I am expecting it to become my new favorite blanket when it is finished. Hey, it may even be the start of many knit blankets, but lets not get too carried away yet. 

I began this somewhat intimidating task last week. Here is the progress I have made thus far:


As you can see, I like to knit at night and I knitted a little on monday while I was home, sick. Knitting can be extremely relaxing and, in my experience, is the perfect project to wind down to at night. Or, knitting can be the perfect thing to keep you occupied while watching TV or a movie. 
I am using 2 skeins at a time, usually I roll them up together, but I didn't bother this time. I have had a few tangles because of that, but they all seem to come out with a bit of tugging. 

I am using a medium weight yarn with size 19 needles. My plan is to knit stripes in this rib knit pattern with two alternating colors and then stitch them together. I'm also still trying to decide what color the other stripe should be. At the moment I'm leaning towards a light brown. I would like it to stay neutral so that it is versatile as my interior design style may change over time - Even though I never think it will. 
Hopefully this blanket won't take too long to make, but you will definitely see progress updates every once in a while. 

Have a great friday! 

7 comments:

  1. Lovely beginning!
    -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo cozy! I've been wanting to make a blanket but it seems like too much and I'm the type of person who likes to finish things soon after I start them.
    If you want to get into circular knitting, I recommend this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Circular-Knitting-Workshop-Essential-Techniques/dp/1603429999/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360301293&sr=8-1&keywords=circular+knitting+workshop
    I have it and it's really wonderful.
    Personally, I got bored with flat knitting pretty quickly. I really think you should try to knit in the round, it's even more fun! It's not as daunting as it looks!! I know you can do it!
    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's great, erin! I don't have the patience or talent for this,but am happy that you do!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous of anyone who can knit, I've tried to teach myself with no luck yet. But these photos really make me want to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great that you are doing that! What's even greater is that you know how!! I totally want to learn to knit or crochet, you can make some amazing things with that talent! Hope all is well and you have a lovely weekend!

    xoxo,
    Shio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope this is still going well! Just started knitting a blanket for my friend as a wedding gift.. huge task! Navy would look awesome with this colour :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Please, don't be shy! I would love to hear your thoughts!
*Be sure to "subscribe by email" to see any replies*